Today we went to The Fair Work Commission for a conciliation meeting with the University regarding our casual wage theft claim.
- The union presented its position, including a call for the university to:
- Renumeration for unpaid wages over the life of our current agreement (2017-ongoing)
- A joint process to review how marking guidelines are determined, and to determine new processes into the future
- An acknowledgment that wage theft is systemic and far-reaching
- That the culture of the university be removed to reduce hurdles for staff seeking to be paid for all hours worked.
Our position reflects the experience and knowledge of Deakin Staff members, as evidenced by an open letter sent to our Vice Chancellor, Professor Iain Martin this afternoon. You can read it here.
The meeting was adjourned for a month or so while the parities try to find a way forward. We will reconvene in the coming month to continue our dispute.
Deakin NTEU Branch